Tuesday, August 21, 2007

United States: Los Angeles: 17-20 August, 2007 (Written 20 August 2007)

What a strange feeling it is. The past few days have been a veritable whirlwind. I arrived on Friday afternoon to LAX, and went smoothly through Immigration and Customs (phew). Ryan was at the airport, and we got Jenny from her terminal, then made a pit stop at In-N-Out, which I'd missed for 2 years...

Ryan dropped us off at Jenny's grandmother's place. It was great to see Jenny, basically my first friend I made in California in 2002. Since then, we've both lived in Japan (at different times but I got to see her in Tokyo while she was living there) and travelled quite a bit. So lots to talk about, but the dynamic's still the same. I took a nap and then we went to Whole Foods (which I've also missed for 2 years) to get some food and then went to Hotel Cafe in Hollywood where Nia was playing a show with her band.

Her band, Letting Up Despite Great Faults, was really good. She plays the cello and sings occasionally, and I was really glad to see her onstage. It's great to see her pursuing something she really enjoys, and of course, that she's great at. Ryan came to meet us there and it was great, being there, enjoying live music...ahh L.A.

On Saturday morning I went to a yoga class at Exhale (yes, this too, I've missed for 2 years) and then back to Santa Monica. Ryan and I got some food a the Co-op, swung by Lincoln and Rose for my favorite Mexican food, then chilled for a bit.

We went in the afternoon to Sunset Junction Street Fair, where lots of live bands were. It was exceedingly warm, and I enjoyed it less than I thought I might, just a lot of people, heat, etc. But no worries - Ben Harper was headlining so that was good. Lauren, from USC, who I last saw maybe 3 years ago, came to meet me and it was really good to see her. We chatted away for much of the afternoon and evening...all good. After the concert, we went out in Silverlake for a bit then I crashed at her place.

On Sunday morning, she dropped me off at Jenny's, where Jenny, Nikki (her Australian roommate in Tokyo), and I went down to the Venice Farmers Market and after that, went to yoga. Ommm. Walked on the beach, then I went to see German. He was at his girlfriend's house, which was GORGEOUS, and since his parents whom I first met in Argentina were visiting, we all went up to Santa Monica. It was wonderfully nostalgic. I went back to yoga in the evening, then back to Jessica's, where we had a beautiful meal and lounged about before I went back to Santa Monica.

Monday morning, I went to acupuncture at Emperors College, got cupping (pain!), then to Whole Foods before yoga. Went to Houston's to have lunch with Greg - really nice to see him. Nia came and met me after work, and we went back to Hollywood. A good chat, a good walk, and now I'm exhausted.

I think there's a lot going on at the moment, a lot of processing - not having been here for a few years, seeing what's changed, seeing what's stayed the same, realizing what's still there, what's not...all a bit intense, and we'll just see how it goes. It's beautiful weather and it's great to be by the beach...

Exhausted. Must sleep. Just wanted to write something before I forget what I've been up to.

No comments: