Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Golden Land - Myanmar

Internet is the most expensive I've seen in months, and connections the slowest I've seen in years. You have to hack into most email sites, i.e. gmail.

This is easily my favorite country I've ever visited. The smells, sights, sounds, and tastes are unlike anything I've ever experienced. I feel that I am somehow inextricably connected to this place, and have no doubt I will return many times.

The past 2 weeks has taken me to Yangon, the bustling capital, Nyaungshwe/Inle Lake, where water and sky and mountains seem to blend into one, Mandalay, well, a city, surrounding ancient cities, Monywa with huge monuments and temples, including a surprise festival I stumbled upon, a wedding I walked into, Pakokku with 1 guesthouse with 2 rooms, and now to Bagan - with 4400 temples scattered across an enormous plain, pagodas, stupas, temples, as far as the eye can see.

Unfortunately no time to write more now but rest assured that there will be long, detailed stories to come in the coming weeks and months.

Mingalabar my friends.

No comments: